History of the Village Hall

The Village Hall is a 19th Century Victorian building, set on approximately 1 acre of land, Located on the border between Hyde Lea and Coppenhall. The Hall was purchased in the 1980’s from the local diocese and has been maintained and enhanced over the years by the Management Trustees.

Hyde Lea School 1908

Originally the Village School, the building was made up of the School Hall and Headmasters House. At the time it became the Village Hall, the Headmasters House had been demolished, a small kitchen and ‘lean-to’ boiler room had been added. In the grounds there was an air raid shelter and a wooden toilet block.

DSCF0224

Toilet Block, Air Raid Shelter and Rear View of Village Hall

Front view

Village Hall – 2004

Old Toilet Block

Old Kitchen

 

 

 

 

After several years of fundraising, the Trustees were finally able to modernise the Village Hall. In the Spring of 2005 work began on:-

  • A New Indoor Toilet Block
  • Disabled Access
  • New Roof
  • New Car Park
  • New Heating
  • General restoration and repair

In addition to the fundraising by Trustees, we had help from several grants, the main one being from DEFRA. The Trustees would also like to thank Stafford Borough Council, Awards for All, Age Concern and Local Councillors for their contributions.

New Look Village Hall

 

New Kitchen

New Main Entrance

 

 

 

 

 

New Car Park

 

 

 

 

 

 

In early 2012, the Trustees were able to have all windows, which were wood and in a poor state of repair, replaced with new uPVC windows. This not only improved the appearance of the Hall, but improved the insulation.

A fully insulated new wooden floor was installed in the Summer of 2103.

New Wooden Floor – 2013

The Trustees continue to ensure the Village Hall are equipped to serve the local community.